[glossary_exclude]This Valentine’s Day, why not make it a family affair? Get the whole family involved in planning and preparing that special meal. Then continue the fun with a family dance off, playing active video games, or taking a walk together.
Cook a family favorite with a twist, homemade pizza with whole wheat crust. This homemade dough recipe is a healthier alternative that still tastes great, but uses whole wheat flour to gain the addded benefits of fiber, vitamins and minerals. Each crust can be formed into a heart shape and topped with a tomato rich marinara sauce. Add low fat grated mozzarella cheese, fresh veggies and herbs to make this pizza extra special and extra heart healthy. Let each person choose their own toppings and help in the creation of your families’ masterpiece.
Pair it with a fresh fruit salad. Allow each family member to pick out their favorite fruit and combine them all to make a healthy side to your pizza.
Making healthy food choices and getting physical activity together is a great way to show your family how much you love them.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
1 tsp sugar
1 ½ C warm water
1 Tbsp active dry yeast
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
- Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the all-purpose flour until dough starts to come together. Place the dough onto a surface floured with the remaining all-purpose flour, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- When the dough is doubled, place the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crusts, or leave whole to make one thick crust. Form into a tight ball. Let rise for about 45 minutes, until doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Then, drape it over both of your fists, and gently pull the edges outward, while rotating the crust. When the circle has reached the desired size, place on a well oiled pizza pan. Top pizza with your favorite toppings.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness) in the preheated oven, until the crust is crisp and golden at the edges, and cheese is melted on the top.