Proper nutrition, combined with safe and effective exercise, is especially important to maintain good health in people with hemophilia. The program, FitFactor: Strength, Flexibility and Wellness, offers services designed to improve health, fitness, and quality of life through regular physical activity and proper nutrition. The program offers video podcasts, support in tracking physical activity, and dietary meal plans based on age, weight and medical complications secondary to hemophilia. This program may be particularly helpful to those individuals who cannot afford health club memberships, have travel constraints due to their physical limitations or because they live in rural locations.
The program’s goal is to motivate all members of the bleeding disorders community to engage in regular moderate physical activity and to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle through proper nutrition.
Hemophilia Federation of America (HFA) has been awarded a multi-year cooperative agreement from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The award supports a program aimed at promoting physical activity and maintaining a healthy weight in individuals with bleeding disorders.
FitFactor is an online Wellness site that provides its users with helpful information about how to stay active and healthy while living with a bleeding disorder. Participating is as easy as 1, 2, 3….
- View exercise videos from the comfort of your own home
- Download low-cost, healthy recipes for tonight’s dinner
- Read the latest in health and wellness news in weekly FitFactor posts written specifically for the bleeding disorders community
- Complete the brief online questionnaire and receive your FREE FitFactor Welcome Kit!
- Download HFA’s Free “Get in Gear” mobile app to track your work outs and progress.
- Check our calendar for upcoming webinars and events.
- Participate in HFA’s Programs – Because active, strong and healthy bodies bleed less and experience fewer secondary disease states; every HFA program integrates a wellness model into its plan. We encourage you to connect with other Blood Brothers, Blood Sisters and Dads In Action for education, support and ongoing motivation.
Here is what some of our participants are saying about the FitFactor program:
“I’m still learning from you, as I’m trying to reach my goals. I definitely liked reading everything that is written on your site. Keep the posts coming. I liked it!”
“Fantastic tips! Remember that when you are stretching (especially as a hemophiliac) to do slow gradual stretches and hold them for ~20 seconds. Never bounce or force your stretches. I have found that stretching has increased my joint strength and flexibility. My target knee and ankle have improved greatly over the years with a regular fitness regiment followed by deep and comfortable stretches. Keep up the most excellent work!”
“I am so grateful for your article post. Really looking forward to read more.”
The message through FitFactor is clear; healthy, active bodies bleed less and require less factor and medical care. In our VOICES video campaign, FitFactor participants share their own stories of how a healthy lifestyle affects all aspects of their lives, including the management of their hemophilia. One such video features Paul Brayshaw, a severe hemophiliac who recently became a new father. In his video, Paul discusses how the support and encouragement he received from his parents helped him to lead a “normal” and healthy lifestyle and to develop a passion for biking. He plans to lead by example when sharing life lessons with his newborn son.