Call for Poster Abstracts
Have you ever wanted your research work presented to patients and caregivers directly? Now鈥檚 your time to make a direct connection to patients and caregivers on your research. Here鈥檚 your opportunity! HFA is starting a new initiative to bring your research directly to the 2019 Symposium.
In order to make research findings and presentation more accessible to patients and caregivers who participate in research projects and initiatives, HFA is inviting you to have the opportunity to present your findings to those who matter most, patients and their caregivers.
HFA invites you to submit your previously presented poster(s) for HFA鈥檚 upcoming annual Symposium鈥檚 Research Poster Presentation and Exhibit in San Diego from April 4-6, 2019.
Deadline: Poster Abstracts must be received by Dec. 31, 2018.
Notification of Selected Abstracts: March 8, 2019.
- All abstracts must be submitted by Dec. 31, 2018
- Submitted abstracts must be in PDF format.
SUBMISSION FOR ABSTRACT聽CLOSED
Theme: Bringing Research To the Community
- All abstracts discussions and findings must relate directly to patients and caregivers within the bleeding disorders community.
- Abstracts clearly promoting a product or service will NOT be accepted. All posters must be noncommercial and without brand names or logos.
- Appropriate submissions will be original research.
- Original Research abstracts are original work utilizing either a quantitative聽 or聽 qualitative.聽 聽 These are systematic investigations whose results expand聽 the聽 knowledge聽 base聽 relevant聽 to聽 the聽 聽bleeding disorders community
- Case reports can be considered original research.
- Abstracts are accepted for first time and previously presented research.
- Abstract of 5,000 words maximum
- For our inaugural research poster presentation and exhibit, a People鈥檚 Choice Award will be presented to the poster with the most number of ballots cast by Symposium attendees. The award for the People鈥檚 Choice Award will be presented at the Final Night Events on April 6th, 2019.
Basic Evaluation Criteria:
All聽 submitted聽 abstracts聽 will聽 be聽 evaluated according聽 to聽 the聽 following聽 basic聽 criteria:
- The abstract should have a聽 clear聽 message聽 of聽 original聽 work聽 and聽 include聽 only聽 one聽 or聽 two聽 major聽 points.聽 If there are more, an additional abstract聽 should聽 be聽 written.
- The abstract should not聽 be聽 based聽 on聽 anticipated聽 data.聽 Abstracts stating聽 that聽 “results聽 will聽 be聽 presented”聽 or聽 some聽 variation聽 thereof聽 will聽 be聽 rejected.
- The abstract should not聽 be聽 an聽 advertisement聽 for聽 a聽 particular聽 product聽 or聽 service.聽 Abstracts that are聽 clearly聽 promoting聽 or聽 marketing聽 a聽 product聽 or聽 service聽 will聽 be聽 rejected.
- Definition of all abbreviations before the abbreviation is used.
Additional Information for Submitted Abstracts:
EVALUATION CRITERIA聽 FOR聽 ORIGINAL聽 RESEARCH聽 ABSTRACT: Original聽 research聽 abstracts聽 are聽 evaluated聽 for聽 quality聽 of聽 the聽 study,聽 novelty,聽 generalizability聽 or聽 insightfulness聽 of聽 results,聽 and聽 relevance聽 to聽 the聽 field.聽 Quantitative studies are聽 assessed聽 for聽 their聽 success聽 in聽 testing聽 a聽 hypothesis聽 or聽 describing聽 findings聽 from聽 an聽 exploratory聽 or聽 pilot聽 study.聽 Qualitative studies聽 are聽 assessed聽 for聽 their聽 success聽 in聽 describing聽 a聽 previously聽 unexplored聽 topic or聽 increasing聽 insight聽 into聽 a聽 well-researched聽 area.聽 Research quality聽 is聽 assessed聽 according聽 to聽 how聽 well聽 study聽 aims聽 and聽 design聽 match聽 the聽 research聽 question,聽 within聽 the聽 context聽 of聽 the聽 methodological聽 approach,聽 i.e.,聽 qualitative,聽 quantitative聽 or聽 mixed-methods.聽 Authors should聽 consider聽 the聽 following聽 elements聽 when聽 writing聽 their聽 original聽 research聽 abstract,聽 as聽 they聽 reflect聽 the聽 evaluation聽 criteria聽 used聽 by聽 the聽 Abstract聽 Workgroup:
- Clear statement聽 of聽 the聽 research聽 question
- Justification of the need for聽 the聽 research聽 (identification聽 of聽 a聽 knowledge聽 gap聽 or聽 what聽 is novel聽 and/or聽 important聽 about聽 the聽 study)
- Selection of appropriate target聽 population聽 to聽 answer聽 research聽 question
- Clear discussion of methods,聽 which聽 may聽 include聽 statistical聽 analysis聽 appropriate聽 for聽 answering聽 the聽 research聽 question聽 (quantitative聽 research)聽 or聽 how聽 questions聽 were聽 derived聽 and聽 description聽 of聽 coding聽 and聽 thematic聽 analysis聽 process聽 (qualitative聽 research)
- Clear presentation聽 of聽 results
- Discussion accurately聽 reflects聽 the聽 results聽 and聽 their聽 implications,聽 consistent聽 with聽 the聽 scope聽 of聽 the聽 findings聽 and聽 addresses聽 the聽 research聽 question
- While the聽 above聽 elements聽 should聽 be聽 addressed聽 in聽 an聽 original聽 research聽 abstract,聽 there聽 is聽 no聽 required聽 format聽 or聽 organization聽 for聽 abstracts.聽 Authors may聽 choose聽 (but聽 are聽 not聽 required)聽 to聽 structure聽 abstracts聽 using聽 the聽 following聽 headings:聽 Introduction,聽 Hypothesis聽 (for聽 quantitative聽 research)聽 or聽 Purpose聽 (for聽 qualitative聽 research),聽 Methods,聽 Results聽 and聽 Conclusions.
Poster Specs and Appearance
- All posters must be able to fit in an area of 4 feet x 4 feet (48 inches x 48 inches).
- Make sure your poster can be easily mounted on the poster board using push pins.
- The poster should be self-explanatory to allow viewing even when you are not present, in particular patients and families.
- It may be a good idea to bring about 50 copies (black and white is fine) of a letter-paper size version of your poster that you can pin to your poster board so that people can take a copy of your poster away with them.
- Bring extra paper for you to use to help you explain your poster to viewers.
- Bring business cards for people who might be interested in contacting you about your poster. Consider putting a sign-up sheet on your poster board for those who want more information.
- The organization, printing, and cost of shipping all materials to the conference will be the sole responsibility of the presenter.
Poster Set-Up and Tear-Down
- Poster Drop-Off: Thursday, April 4th, 2019 from 12pm-3pm. HFA Research Team staff will set-up your poster.
- Poster Tear-Down: HFA Research Team will tear-down the poster at the end of research sessions. Posters can be retrieved Saturday, April 6th from 2pm-4pm. HFA is not responsible for any posters not retrieve by the deadline.
Conflict of Interest
I understand that I must indicate that either (a) I have NO financial interest in any commercial entity whose products or services are described, reviewed, evaluated or compared in the Presentation; or (b) I have a financial interest in a commercial entity whose products or services are described, reviewed, evaluated or compared in the Presentation. I must disclose any financial interest I may have in any commercial entity whose products or services are described, reviewed, evaluated or compared in the Presentation. For example, I must disclose if I (i) have an ownership interest in such a commercial entity; (ii) have a financial interest in any product or service discussed in the Presentation; (iii) am employed (whether full or part-time) by such a commercial entity; (iv) own all or part of any patent licensed to such a commercial entity; (v) have an ongoing relationship (e.g., as a consultant, agent, representative, speaker, etc.) with such a commercial entity; or (vi) have received financial compensation for my Presentation.
- If an author on the abstract has since changed affiliations, do I include the author’s current affiliation or affiliation at the time the abstract was written?
- Please use the author affiliation that was relevant when the abstract was written/submitted.
- Can more than one person present this Poster Presentation?
- Due to space, logistics and the limited time available, we ask that only one author present each abstract.
- If I cannot attend the Annual Conference, can someone present on my behalf?
- If you are unable to attend the conference, ONLY another author on the abstract may present in your place. To withdraw your abstract, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by
- Can I change my assigned presentation slot?
- We do not have the flexibility to make any changes to the Poster scheduling. No changes are permitted to the assigned schedule. Changing the presentation date/time for one author can easily have a ripple effect as we would have to move another author from his/her scheduled slot to fit in any requested changes.聽 If another author on your abstract is available, we do allow other authors listed on the abstract to present on behalf of the primary author when he/she is not available.
- Can I edit my abstract after the submission deadline?
- If accepted, your abstract will be printed as it was received during the Call for Abstracts. No changes are permitted.
- Can I defer my abstract to next year?
- We are unable to allow authors to defer their presentations to the following year. We encourage authors to submit an abstract on a different aspect of the abstract topic in any following years.
For any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to the HFA Research Team at email@example.com 聽or (202) 675-6984.
Our 2019 Symposium Sponsors