I completely agree with Michael. The rules around absentee balloting differ from state to state. For example, in my home state of Kansas, anyone can apply for an absentee ballot for any election. In Pennsylvania, however, you have to provide proof that you will be away. This additional step – and adding any steps to the process – all prevent turnout. My county in Kansas also has early voting, where people can vote up to two weeks in advance in-person at their convenience. Making absentee and early voting easier are two ways to increase turnout. A few other policies that encourage turnout:
1) Mandatory voting
2) Online voting
3) Election day is a national holiday
4) Prohibiting voter restrictive policies like voter ID laws
5) Increasing polling place accessibility (distance, open more hours of the day, etc.)
6) Automatic voter registration
- This reply was modified 7 months ago by Natalie Parker.