Donate

This topic contains 20 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Wile 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

s.wilkes
    Keymaster

Krista/Aidan-

How can we empower others? What methods would you use?

Krista Davidson
    Participant

We’re talking over this same issue now in our advocacy committee, grassroots advocacy work. I’ll be honest, it can be hard to motivate myself into action sometimes let alone others. We are looking at ways to mobilize others in our community into advocacy by having group discussions on civics in general, talking about how Virginia governs, and how to stay connected to your Representative(s) or Senators throughout the year not just during special events in D.C.

Natalie Parker
    Participant

The intention of popular sovereignty is to limit the power of the government, so that it cannot violate the rights of people. For example, the government cannot interfere with rights such as freedom of religion or petition as long as the expression of those rights doesn鈥檛 interfere with others. The latter part of this – the stipulation that it cannot restrict the rights of others – is often where controversy resides.

Natalie Parker
    Participant

Jen, I think you have a good point. I think it’s also important to remember the power of the interest group (essentially what we’re apart of). We’re all stronger together, in the sense that elected officials can better gauge how we feel when we represent our asks in a united way.

Ken Martin
    Participant

Popular Sovereignty in my view is to empower government to exercise the will of the people they represent. Legislators should feel that it is their obligation to those people who elected them by legislating on the people’s behalf. Not on their own individual interests, views, beliefs even. Only if they are enlightened by the people on how issues are viewed from all sides, can they make educated and informed decisions that will affect all they represent.

P.S. I do not mean empower in a “MWAH HAH HAH HAH!” way.

Michael Wile
    Participant

Popular sovereignty in todays world can only be realized if we actually tell our elected officials what we want and why we want it. That is we all need to tell our stories to our elected officials so that they can represent our interests. If you tell your story and explain who you are and what your needs are that is the only way that something can be done to make the USA and our states and communities better places for our special interest group and hopefully for everyone.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.