Donate

This topic contains 18 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Wile 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

s.wilkes
    Keymaster

Learning Objective: Explain how the branches of national government compete and cooperate in order to govern.

Resource:
    1. Intro to the 3 Branches of Government

Assignment:
    Answer the following question:

Which of the 3 branches of government would you most want to work in? Why?

Larry West
    Participant

I would most want to work in the legislative branch. I would enjoy working on creating laws and negotiating to pass them. Most real change in our government begins in the legislative branch. If you seriously want to change the status quo, that is where you begin!

Dana Brayshaw
    Participant

I would have to agree with Larry, I would like to work in the legislative branch. I think it would be pretty cool to help write and pass laws that would benefit our society.

Viviana Gonz谩lez
    Participant

I’d like to work in the judicial branch. I think it is very challenging for judges to read and interpret laws objectively while also taking into consideration their legislative intent and the impact their decisions will have on everyday life. The judicial branch is the last and ultimate check on balance of power, which is so crucial in our democracy. Many U.S. Supreme Court decisions have changed the course of civil rights in our country’s history; moving, in many aspects (though not all), towards increasing or maintaining people’s rights. Next up is the Fifth Circuit’s decision on the legitimacy of the ACA – a decision that could greatly impact our community.

Aidan Elliott
    Participant

I think working in the Legislative branch would be the most rewarding. Having the power to declare war while trying to balance the will of local constituents and national lobbyists and writing laws that affect everyone would never leave me thinking I hadn’t done enough in a day.

Steve Spears
    Participant

I would chose the legislative branch as well because of its ability to work more directly with the people to solve problems impacting their lives.

s.wilkes
    Keymaster

For everyone who has chosen legislative – can you ever see yourself running for office?

Michelle Fernandez
    Participant

I would say the legislative branch would be the most appealing to me . Representing your state, hearing from the people in your community, making changes that impact their lives would be amazing. Every state and region has its own needs, unique to them sometimes. Being a voice for them when bills are introduced would be pretty rewarding.

Michelle Fernandez
    Participant

i do see Vivianas point of view with the Judicial Branch being pretty prestigious. Being the last line of defense when a law is in question. Staying objective and balancing out if laws are fair and just. And to be honest, never having to apply for another job ever could be pretty cool.

Krista Davidson
    Participant

I’m drawn towards the legislative and judicial branches. I’ve been chewing on the idea of getting a master’s degree since my involvement with our local chapter’s advocacy committee. I’ve been a nurse at the bedside for 18 years and have been looking to pull away from that in the next couple years to hopefully study health law or public policy. I’m not sure that I would like to run for office, I would feel more comfortable behind the scenes.

Larry West
    Participant

No, I don’t see myself running for office. However, I don’t believe you have to be politician to have that kind of impact. I think maybe lobbyist or some other position that has direct influence in the creation of new legislation. I certainly don’t believe politicians sit and write the laws themselves. Hmmm… Who does actually do the writing and creation? Its seems as if politicians are more of the vision. Who are the people that turn those visions into defined ideas and plans?

Ashley Castello
    Participant

My immediate choice would be the legislative branch. I think there is something energetic about being involved in that kind of body, and it lends itself to the opportunity to meet and work with many different people and to really get involved in your own community. There is something appealing about the judicial branch as well, though, being able to have the final say on an issue. I have never considered running for office. It seems very intimidating to be under that kind of public scrutiny on a daily basis, but it’s not something that I would rule out moving forward.

s.wilkes
    Keymaster

Fair point, Larry!

There are tons of ways to influence public policy without being an elected official. All of you are already doing it!

Many states have advisory boards for legislative and regulatory agencies. Might be an avenue to look into!

Natalie Parker
    Participant

Because I am most interested in direct advocacy & 鈥渨onky鈥 policy conversations, the legislative branch is the most compelling to me. Congresspeople are tasked with directly representing their constituents and balancing the needs and values of their districts with how they view certain policies and laws. Though we can sometimes think of our legislators with a binary lens – blue and red, democrat and republican, good or bad – good legislation is more nuanced than that. For those reasons, I believe that I would find the most value in working for the legislative branch.

Natalie Parker
    Participant

Referring to the judicial branch as the “last line of defense” is such a cool way to put it. I think of the legislative branch as the first line of defense (or offense ha!) so I think that’s why it’s so interesting to me. Elected officials get to be innovators, in a sense.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.