Donate

This topic contains 9 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Jen Loving 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

s.wilkes
    Keymaster

Learning Objective: Explain the function of the legislative branch.

Resources:
    1. Committees: How Congress Functions, Part 5

2. Committees: Conference Committees

3. Committees: Select Committees

4. Committees: Powerful House Committee Chairs

Assignment:

Answer the question:

Which House Committees do you think would be important to the bleeding disorders community?

Natalie Parker
    Participant

In relation to healthcare policy, there are a few committees that make immediate sense 鈥 Veterans affairs, Ways and Means, and Oversight and Reform. However, I would also throw in the Judiciary committee because of its potential impact on the ACA.

The Ways and Means committee has a subcommittee on Worker & Family Support, which I can see having a bearing on families struggling with balancing having a bleeding disorder. The VA committee has a subcommittee on Health, which 鈥渉as legislative, oversight, and investigative jurisdiction over the Veterans Health Administration including medical services, medical support and compliance, medical facilities, medical and prosthetic research, and major and minor construction.鈥

Source here.

Michael Wile
    Participant

I agree with Natalie that Committee on Ways and Means and Subcommittee on Health is probably the most pertinent to the hemophilia community with respect to policy. I would expect the Committee on the Budget to be the most important with respect to funding. Some other relevant committees and subcommittees include: the Committee on Energy and Commerce/Subcommittee on Health, the Committee on Appropriations
    Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education and Related Agencies.

Viviana Gonz谩lez
    Participant

I agree and think that the Ways and Means Committee (Subcommittee on Health), the Committee on Energy and Commerce (Subcommittee on Health) and the Committee on Appropriations (Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education and Related Agencies) are most likely the most important and influential for matters that concern our community.

Krista Davidson
    Participant

It looks like there are multiple committees and subcommittees that can have an impact on the bleeding disorder community. In the Senate, the Committee on Finance discusses drug-pricing. There is a subcommittee on healthcare. The HELP committee, Committee on Appropriations and it’s subcommittee. In the House, Ways and Means and it’s subcommittee on Health. The Committee on Energy and Commerce and it’s subcommittee. The Appropriations Committee and it’s subcommittee. The Committee on the Budget. There is alot to follow! See link below, this is one of the pages I searched that was helpful.

https://www.mgma.com/advocacy/make-change-happen/take-action/key-congressional-committees-in-healthcare

Aidan Elliott
    Participant

Last month, the House Rules Committee held the first hearing on a single-payer system in the US. I don’t exactly know how or why the Rules Committee became the first stage for this debate but it is obviously very important to the bleeding disorder community. Tomorrow, May 22nd, the House Budget Committee will hear more about the budget implications of a single-payer system. I am told the House Ways and Means Committee will hold a hearing in the near future as well. The Energy and Commerce Committee (subcommittee on health) oversees a lot of healthcare issues including private and public insurance but has so far declined to hold any hearings on ‘Medicare for all’.

Ken Martin
    Participant

House Energy and Commerce Committee oversees the CHIP program that funds a lot of the state programs covering Hemophilia. This program was politicized and held hostage for the overall budget.

With the way that the ACA is set up the states administer a lot of the health care programs that affect Hemophilia. I know here in Michigan it was critical for the funding that affects us greatly.

Larry West
    Participant

I think that the committees for agriculture, appropriations, budget, education and labor, and ways and means are all important to the bleeding disorders community. All play a part in making decisions about healthcare, insurance, and paying for healthcare (medicaid/medicare)

Ashley Castello
    Participant

The agriculture, appropriations, education and labor, energy and commerce, and ways and means committees all have health subcommittees, so I think that all of them would be directly important to the bleeding disorders community. There are also other committees, like transportation and infrastructure, that would also be important in a more indirect manner. For example, the efficiency of a place’s transportation and infrastructure effects how quickly one can get to an ER.

Jen Loving
    Participant

Thanks Krista for the link for more information. I feel that most of the committees/subcommittees listed would benefit the bleeding disorder community. Which makes it difficult for us to follow certain committees as we have to watch over them all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.