Donate

This topic contains 9 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Larry West 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

s.wilkes
    Keymaster

Learning Objective: Explain the function of the legislative branch.

Resources:
    1. Hearings: An Overview of Congressional Hearings

2. Hearings: Congressional Hearings

Assignment:
    Answer the question:

What is a purpose of a Congressional hearing?

Natalie Parker
    Participant

The purpose of a Congressional hearing is to gather information or inquire about a particular topic from people who are in-the-know. This includes: acquiring information about presidential nominees, obtaining opinions about legislation, conducting an investigation, evaluating the actions of a particular government department.

Deciding what hearings occur and who presents in them seems like a significant power and I believe it is our responsibility as voters to stay abreast of what occurs in congressional hearings.

I found two interesting articles that I thought I鈥檇 share:

This Is What Happened Last Time a Cabinet Nomination Was Rejected (Time, 2/3/17): This article specifically mentions the role that a congressional hearing had on the nomination process.

The Greatest Hearings in American History (Politico Magazine, 6/7/17)

Steve Spears
    Participant

The purpose of a hearing is to gather information. This can include the evaluation of a presidential nominee, proposed law, government department, or to conduct an investigation.

Michelle Fernandez
    Participant

the purpose of congressional hearing is to gather information. The hearing is the meeting or session of the house, senate or special committee of congress. Its usually open to the public. Its purpose is to obtain information, conduct an investigation or evaluated activities of a government department. its a forum that allows oral testimonies and questioning by members of congress.

Viviana Gonz谩lez
    Participant

Congressional hearings provide members of Congress with the opportunity to delve into particular topics in more detail, which should help them in their decision-making processes. Through congressional hearings Congress gathers information, performs investigations, and/or oversees the activities of our government agencies.

Krista Davidson
    Participant

I agree with everyone’s responses. During congressional hearings, information is gathered on legislation coming down the pipeline. The link below was helpful too.

https://www.govinfo.gov/help/chrg

Aidan Elliott
    Participant

in deed, Congressional hearings are a way for committee members to gather information from non-committee experts on pertinent issues related to the committee or subcommittee. the Congressional Budget Office is expected to present information about the side effects of a single payer system tomorrow to the House Budget Committee.

Michael Wile
    Participant

I agree with Aiden that congressional hearings are a way for committee members to gather information from non-committee experts on pertinent issues related to the committee or subcommittee. I will be interested to hear about the unintended consequences of a single payer system.

Ken Martin
    Participant

Congressional Hearings are a venue for congress to publicly ask, investigate, inquire about persons, topics, events, etc. Generally they ask questions they already know the answer to. They need to hear how the witnesses present those answers in testimony to judge for themselves on the issue discussed.

Larry West
    Participant

The purpose of a congressional hearing is to gather information, conduct an investigation, explore current topics of interest, or for appointing presidential nominees.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.