Donate

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ken Martin 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

s.wilkes
    Keymaster

Learning Objective: Understand the role of checks and balances amongst the three branches of government and the citizenry.

Resources:
    1. Checks on the Executive鈥檚 Power

2. Supreme Court Checks on Presidential Power

3. Senate Checks on Presidential Power

4. Congress & The Power of the Supreme Court

5. Vetoes and Overrides

Assignment:
    Answer the question:

Does our system of checks and balances work? Why or why not?

Michael Wile
    Participant

Unfortunatly our system of checks and balances works too well sometimes. My personal frustration with government gridlock is proof. Certainly, I would love to see more change on many issues, including making the USA a more habitable country for people living with chronic conditions. Unfortunately, too many checks and balances have prevented positive change and fortunately these same forces have prevented negative change.

Natalie Parker
    Participant

This is my favorite topic we鈥檝e discussed, because even after my research, I don鈥檛 know where I stand.

On one hand, like we discussed last week, the Executive Order allows the president to outweigh the will of the Legislative Branch and may overcome congressional gridlock. On another hand, I do believe that Congress has the largest powers to check the other branches. Congress has significant powers to check the President (as discussed in previous weeks) and the Supreme Court.

To be honest, I had heard the least about Congress鈥檚 power to check the Supreme Court. I don鈥檛 feel that this is an area that is discussed in the public realm. Again, History.com comes in handy with this interesting article that includes how FDR tried to change the makeup of the Supreme Court.

Steve Spears
    Participant

From a previous podcast, it stated that the founders of the Constitution went out of their way to ensure that it is almost impossible for one person to gain enough power to dominate the government. Through separation of power and our system of checks and balances, I believe this goal has been achieved.

Krista Davidson
    Participant

I believe it works, like Michael said, a little too well. After reviewing the podcasts and reflecting on previous research, it’s a pretty brilliant system to prevent one branch from overpowering another. However it’s also a frustrating system, since it often feels like our representatives are working against eachother, and the government can become gridlocked.

Ken Martin
    Participant

In order to create gridlock as others have mentioned, there must be initial movement by all the parties involved. Too many times the only thing moving are their lips. Posturing, threats of oversight, over ruling, vetoing… create nothing. Vigilance from the people insisting on progress from our government is all that makes things happen. Sometimes those people are the one percenters. Other times it is a small group with a vested and passionate interest.

Ken Martin
    Participant

Just for fun…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.