Donate

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Viviana Gonz谩lez 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

s.wilkes
    Keymaster

Learning Objective: Understand the differences and similarities of state vs federal governments and how the two function together.

Resources:
    1. Civic Engagement: State Governments

2. Limits on State Powers

Assignment:
    Answer the question:

What are some ways citizens can be involved in state government?

Michael Wile
    Participant

Citizens can serve on boards and committees that make recommendations to elected officials. Citizens can introduce themselves to their legislators when he or she is campaigning, fund-raising or holding a 鈥渢own meeting.鈥 Find out about his or her interests and goals for the bleeding disorder community. Brush up on politics in your state, log on to the Internet. Most state legislative offices maintain Web sites. Citizens can offer their opinions by speaking out at legislative sessions and by writing letters to elected officials.

Natalie Parker
    Participant

Michael covered quite a few options, but to add to that, citizens can give testimony in-person or submit written testimony about specific pieces of legislation. The state representative I worked for the Kansas Legislature always said that when constituents directly contacted her via social media, email, phone or at constituent events like coffee meetings, that was the most impactful.

Citizens can also lobby formally with a specific organization, company or interest group or advocate informally. Youth can often be legislative pages to experience the process and young adults/college students can intern.

Jen Loving
    Participant

Citizens can become in state government by attending State House days, local coffee meetings and serve on committees that provide input to those in the local government.

Steve Spears
    Participant

I think the best way is through personal contact with your representatives. It seems that at the state level, legislators are more accessible so you have more opportunity to develop a personal connection and have your story heard.

Krista Davidson
    Participant

I did a little more digging around and found these gems on the Center for Civic Education’s website, the last one had me scratching my head:
    looking for information in newspapers, magazines, reference materials and judging its accuracy
    voting in local, state, and national elections
    participating in a political discussion
    trying to persuade someone to vote in a certain way
    signing a petition, wearing a button or putting a sticker on a car
    writing letters to elected representatives
    contributing money to a party or candidate
    lobbying for laws that are of special interest
    demonstrating through marches, boycotts, sit-ins, or other forms of protest
    serving as a juror
    running for office
    holding public office
    serving the country through military or other service
    disobeying laws and taking the consequences to demonstrate that a law or policy is unjust
    馃檪

Viviana Gonz谩lez
    Participant

Some great answers already. An important part of being involved is being up to date with local news and understanding the people’s different point of views on a particular issue. The challenge for many policymakers is how to bring all of that together and advocates can help with that process.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.