Donate

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Viviana González 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

s.wilkes
    Keymaster

Learning Objective: Understand the differences and similarities of state vs federal governments and how the two function together

Resources:
    1. State Legislatures

2. Executive Branch of State Government

Assignment:
    Answer the question:

What is one thing you would like to know more about your state government?

Natalie Parker
    Participant

I would like to know more about the makeup of the PA Assembly, and know more about the types of legislation that the body has supported over the past few years. In my experience working for the Kansas statehouse, I know that the vast majority of non-budgetary legislation comes from constituent and interest group grievances, rather than using an incremental, evidence-based approach. So I’m interested to hear how legislators in PA receive ideas for legislation, what they’ve tried to focus on, and how they’ve been able to harness the energy and knowledge of their electorate.

Michael Wile
    Participant

Natalie wants to know more about the makeup of the PA assembly and the types of legislation they support. I would like this same information about CA. In particular, I want to know all the state laws that regulate health insurance companies and how we would go about creating new state legislation to further regulate them with respect to accumulator adjusters.

Jen Loving
    Participant

I agree with Michael…I would be interested in knowing health insurance regulations…in Ohio the AG is going after the PBM’s and I am watching this develop…and I wonder if he is successful then will other states follow the same path.

Steve Spears
    Participant

I am interested in learning more about the interplay between state and federal legislation, and how federal legislation impacts the choice of which issues a state may take on.

Krista Davidson
    Participant

I’m not sure if there is anything I want to know about our state government yet. By being involved with the ALC and volunteering in my state chapter’s advocacy group the last couple years, I’m learning things about our state government as I go along.

Viviana González
    Participant

I’d like to know more about the general decision-making process. What is at the top of the agenda and why? Why are some measures pushed through and not others – what distinguishes those that gain traction?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.