Read nutrition labels
Nutrition Facts labels provide a wealth of information about the nutritional content of food items.Â Nutrition labels must follow the format as shown on the right.
When you read the Nutrition Facts label, ask yourself these questions:
- What is the serving size?
- How many servings are in the container?
- How many calories are in a single serving?
- Is this a smart choice based on calories per serving?
- Is this a smart choice based on the %Daily Value (%DV) of nutrients?
- Do the nutrients you want to limit have low %DV?
- Do the nutrients you want to get enough of have high %DV?