Living with a Bleeding Disorder in the Pandemic

Since March 2020 we have had to get used to a new reality where taking care of our kids’ already special health situation has turned even more complicated. How to handle frequent visits to the hospital if the hospital doesn’t seem like a safe place? Doing virtual schooling had to grow on us, but we were grateful to be able to continue the educational process for the semester and for having the option of working remotely. For one thing, staying home in quarantine, doing passive activities kept my daughter from severe accidents; not to mention, the loads of quality time we’ve spent together.  Board games, family movie night, and turning boxes into robots, castles, hamster playgrounds and the like, occupied most of our free time. It was before the summer though, that we had to deal with something we definitely didn’t expect.
Mid-April, my daughter came in from playing in the backyard and went to the bathroom. Next thing I hear is her calling in an alarmed voice. She had seen a blood stain in her underwear. Immediately we thought she had gotten her period at age 8. How could this be in the middle of a world-wide health crisis? Between shock and trying to keep it together, my husband and I started to deal as best we could. He went to the pharmacy for extra supplies which we figured we would need, while I bathed her and tried to keep her calm. The bleeding continued getting dramatically worse, so we contacted other moms from the bleeding community for advice, as well as our specialist, Dr. Leslie Soto.
We were instructed that if saturated pads were resulting in less than 2 hours, we should medicate and go to the hospital. My heart sank at the thought of going to the same place where they were receiving severely ill COVID patients. Once there, I learned that COVID patients were being seen in a different area that was assigned to that purpose. This knowledge eased the nerves just slightly enough to better deal with the situation at hand. My daughter had also began vomiting, so she had to get IV fluids in addition to her medication, which seemed to basically stop the bleeding. The only moment when it reoccurred was when she emptied her valves. We thought this might be “normal” due to the circumstances.
My daughter had to get a full blood transfusion along with one of Fresh Frozen Plasma (FFP) because her hemoglobin dropped to a seven. We were told that this number could have appeared lower due to the IV fluids, but it was still quite concerning. What was all the more difficult was dealing with her first encounter with the realization that she was going to get full blood in her system? Seeing the intense color of the IV (as oppose to the yellow color of FFP, which she is used to) really messed with her head. She started hyperventilating and we weren’t sure if it was fright or a reaction. We managed to calm her down and figured out that she was bending the arm, thus it was hurting her. The only other moment when she had gotten a full blood transfusion had been as a baby, so she didn’t remember that instance.
Furthermore, this visit to the hospital posed yet another challenge. Due to the coronavirus, only one parent could stay for prolonged periods of time and no visitors were allowed. This meant that at the moment of the transfusion I had to make the incredibly hard decision of leaving my daughter with my husband. Being blind, it was especially difficult for me to navigate a hospital room with the IV hooked up to her arm in order to go to the bathroom and help her out while monitoring the bleeding. The social worker was key in helping me make a good decision because I needed to consider that trying to handle the situation myself could potentially cause an accident. I had to think with my head and not my heart. Besides, I knew dad would do a great job and he did.
After she was stabilized and her hemoglobin got back up to a 10, we were able to leave the hospital with the referral to the endocrinologist. Following the telemedicine appointment and the pertinent bloodwork, we were fortunate to conclude that the bleeding was not due to menstruation but to something that must have happened at the level of the gastro-intestinal tract. I had this suspicion when we left the hospital but I think in hind sight that it was a good thing not to prolong our stay by insisting on a gastric consultation. Yet before coming to this conclusion, I suffered mommy guilt up about it.
The whole episode turned out to be a result of constipation, with which we have had to be very diligent in following-up with the pediatrician and the gastroenterologist. Taking care of this issue was even more challenging while she had to be on liquid iron for the next three to four weeks in order to raise her hemoglobin level. Once more, the advice and support of other moms from the bleeding community, along with the effort of my daughter’s healthcare professionals, helped us through such a confusing time. The trauma of that day when it all started has stayed with me. My daughter described it in better terms saying it was a nightmare. Still, we must prepare ourselves for what’s ahead, having had a glimpse of what it could be like in the future.
For now, we were able to finish the second grade with a sense of bitter-sweet relief. June and July gave us a chance to recover and Fabiola got to participate in a virtual summer art camp, as well as got back to her various therapies to get her ready for the coming schoolyear. The pandemic had affected the continuity of services for special education students, so we’ve been glad to benefit from tele-therapies. She doesn’t always like it, but it helps a great deal with her over-all development and performance level. What I think she best enjoyed was the virtual summer camp given by the Puerto Rican Association of Hemophilia (APH, in its Spanish acronym). It was titled AcampHemos Juntos 2020 (Let’s Camp Out Together). The organizers put together and delivered a box for each family with everything they would need for the activity, along with lots of practical “goodies” like hand sanitizers from the pharmaceutical companies that were sponsoring. They also included little gifts for the kids like the abominable slime making kits to which I loose clothes on a regular basis. In any case, she loves them as much as I despise them.  Our daughter got to do some more art, we danced Zumba and baked cupcakes together.  In addition, parents got the chance to have group therapy with a psychologist.  Participating as a family was super fun and we miraculously managed to clean the slime off the official camp T-shirt, which was a good thing.
Sylvia lives in Puerto Rico with her husband, Javier, and daughter, Fabiola.
*Note: “Infusing Love: A Mom’s View,” is a blog collection of personal opinions and a representation of individuals experiences. While extensive efforts are made to ensure accuracy of the content, the blog entries do not represent HFA or its Board of Directors. The blog is also not intended to be construed as medical advice or the official opinion/position of HFA, its staff, or its Board of Directors. Readers are strongly encouraged to discuss their own medical treatment with their healthcare providers.

Viviendo con un trastorno de sangre durante la pandemia
Desde marzo de 2020 hemos tenido que acostumbrarnos a una nueva realidad en la que cuidar la ya especial situación de salud de nuestros hijos se ha vuelto aún más complicado. ¿Cómo manejar las visitas frecuentes al hospital si el hospital no parece un lugar seguro? La escolarización virtual tenía que crecer en nosotros, pero agradecimos poder continuar el proceso educativo durante el semestre y tener la opción de trabajar de forma remota. Por un lado, quedarme en casa en cuarentena, hacer actividades pasivas evitó que mi hija sufriera accidentes graves; sin mencionar el tiempo de calidad que hemos pasado juntos. Los juegos de mesa, la noche de películas en familia y convertir cajas en robots, castillos, áreas de juegos para hámster y cosas por el estilo, ocupaban la mayor parte de nuestro tiempo libre. Sin embargo, fue antes del verano que tuvimos que lidiar con algo que definitivamente no esperábamos.
A mediados de abril, mi hija llegó de jugar en el patio trasero y fue al baño. Lo siguiente que escucho es su llamada con voz alarmada. Había visto una mancha de sangre en su ropa interior. Inmediatamente pensamos que había tenido su período a los 8 años. ¿Cómo podría ser esto en medio de una crisis de salud mundial? Entre la conmoción y el intento de mantener la calma, mi esposo y yo comenzamos a tratar con la situación lo mejor que pudimos.  Él fue a la farmacia a buscar suministros adicionales que pensamos que necesitaríamos, mientras yo la bañaba y trataba de mantenerla tranquila. El sangrado continuó empeorando dramáticamente, por lo que nos comunicamos con otras mamás de la comunidad de trastornos de sangrados para pedir consejo, así como con nuestra especialista, la Dra. Leslie Soto.
Se nos indicó que, si las compresas saturadas daban como resultado menos de 2 horas, deberíamos medicarnos e ir al hospital. Mi corazón se hundió ante la idea de ir al mismo lugar donde estaban recibiendo pacientes de COVID gravemente enfermos. Una vez allí, supe que los pacientes de COVID estaban siendo atendidos en un área diferente que estaba asignada a ese propósito. Este conocimiento alivió los nervios lo suficiente como para lidiar mejor con la situación en cuestión. Mi hija también había comenzado a vomitar, por lo que tuvo que recibir líquidos por vía intravenosa además de su medicación, que básicamente parecían detener el sangrado. El único momento en que volvió a ocurrir fue cuando vació su intestino. Pensamos que esto podría ser “normal” debido a las circunstancias.
Mi hija tuvo que recibir una transfusión de sangre completa junto con una de Plasma Fresco Congelado (FFP) porque su hemoglobina bajó a 7. Nos dijeron que este número podría haber parecido más bajo debido a los líquidos intravenosos, pero todavía era bastante preocupante. ¿Qué fue lo más difícil fue lidiar con su primer encuentro al darse cuenta de que iba a tener sangre completa en su sistema? Ver el color intenso de la vía intravenosa (en oposición al color amarillo de la FFP, al que está acostumbrada) realmente le molestó la cabeza. Comenzó a hiperventilar y no estábamos seguros de que si era miedo o una reacción … Logramos calmarla y nos dimos cuenta de que estaba doblando el brazo, por lo que le dolía. El único otro momento en el que había recibido una transfusión de sangre completa había sido cuando era bebé, así que no recordaba ese caso.
Además, esta visita al hospital sufrió otro desafío. Debido al virus de Coronavirus, solo uno de los padres podía quedarse por períodos prolongados y no se permitían visitas. Esto significó que en el momento de la transfusión tuve que tomar la increíblemente difícil decisión de dejar a mi hija con mi esposo. Al ser ciega, me resultó especialmente difícil navegar por la habitación del hospital con la vía intravenosa conectada a su brazo para ir al baño y ayudarla mientras monitoreaba el sangrado. La trabajadora social fue clave para ayudarme a tomar una buena decisión porque necesitaba considerar que tratar de manejar la situación yo misma podría causar un accidente. Tenía que pensar con la cabeza y no con el corazón. Además, sabía que papá haría un gran trabajo y lo hizo.
Después de que se estabilizó y su hemoglobina volvió a subir a 10, pudimos salir del hospital con el referido al endocrinólogo. Tras la cita de telemedicina y los correspondientes análisis de sangre, tuvimos la suerte de concluir que el sangrado no se debió a la menstruación sino a algo que debió haber ocurrido a nivel del tracto gastrointestinal. Tenía esta sospecha cuando salimos del hospital, pero creo que, en el fondo, fue bueno no prolongar nuestra estancia insistiendo en una consulta gástrica. Sin embargo, antes de llegar a esta conclusión, sufrí la culpa de mamá y me hice daño por ello.
Todo el episodio resultó ser consecuencia de estreñimiento, con lo que hemos tenido que ser muy diligentes en el seguimiento con el pediatra y el gastroenterólogo. Atender este problema fue aún más desafiante, ya que tuvo que tomar hierro líquido durante las siguientes 3-4 semanas para elevar su nivel de hemoglobina. Una vez más, los consejos y el apoyo de otras mamás de la comunidad de los sangrantes, junto con el esfuerzo de los profesionales de la salud de mi hija, nos ayudaron en un momento tan confuso. El trauma de ese día en que todo comenzó se ha quedado conmigo. Mi hija lo describió en mejores términos diciendo que era una pesadilla. Aún así, debemos prepararnos para lo que está por venir, habiendo vislumbrado cómo podría ser en el futuro.
Por ahora, pudimos terminar el segundo grado con una sensación de alivio agridulce. Junio ​​y julio nos dieron la oportunidad de recuperarnos y Fabiola pudo participar en un campamento de arte de verano virtual, además de volver a sus diversas terapias para prepararla para el próximo año escolar. La pandemia había afectado la continuidad de los servicios para los estudiantes de educación especial, por lo que nos complace beneficiarnos de las terapias a distancia. No siempre le gusta, pero ayuda mucho con su nivel general de desarrollo y desempeño. Lo que creo que más disfrutó fue el campamento de verano virtual que impartió la Asociación Puertorriqueña de Hemofilia (APH). Se tituló AcampHemos Juntos 2020 (Acampemos juntos). Los organizadores armaron y entregaron una caja para cada familia con todo lo que necesitarían para la actividad, junto con muchas “golosinas” prácticas como desinfectantes de manos de las compañías farmacéuticas que patrocinaban. También incluían pequeños obsequios para los niños como los abominables kits de fabricación de baba a los que les suelto ropa de forma regular. En cualquier caso, ella los ama tanto como yo los desprecio. Nuestra hija pudo hacer más arte, bailamos Zumba y horneamos cupcakes juntos. Además, los padres tuvieron la oportunidad de recibir terapia de grupo con un psicólogo. Participar en familia fue súper divertido y milagrosamente logramos limpiar la baba de la camiseta oficial del campamento, lo cual fue algo bueno.
Sylvia vive en Puerto Rico con su esposo, Javier, y su hija, Fabiola.