Supermarkets are places for high impulse buying, and over 60% of the purchases are unplanned.聽 With that thought, it is important to stick to a shopping plan. Once you have a clear plan, then you can slowly watch your shopping costs decrease.
Below are a few tips to help you create a plan and save money while shopping at the grocery store.
2. Shop the sales. There are thousands of items on sale in your local store. Look for the sale signs and save.
3. Clip coupons. Grab coupons from your local paper, go online to your favorite store, and if you are a savvy shopper trade coupons with your friends or neighbors. Don’t forget to cut/print them before you head to the store, and visit the store on double coupon day.
4. Get volume discount and shop in bulk. Discounted pricing on many items is available when you buy a full case or more (just ask the customer service desk about volume pricing). Also visit the bulk bins that are filled with items such as beans, rice, cereal and spices. These items will last for months if stored properly at home.
5. Purchase the “bang for your buck” foods. You will get more nutritional value from whole foods: whole- grains, beans, lentils, fresh or frozen fruits and veggies.
6. Make one-pot meals. Cook on the weekend, divide and freeze the meal, then have it for lunch or dinner later in the week.
7. Get excited about leftovers. Move beyond reheating dishes, use your leftovers like veggies, meats and cheeses in soups, pastas and rice dishes.
8. Membership has privileges. Many grocery stores offer frequent member cards. Sign-up and get instant discounts and coupons.
9. Shop on the edge.聽 Healthy shoppers know the really good stuff is placed on the perimeter of the store. In these sections your will find fruits, vegetables, baked goods, dairy products and fresh meats. In the middle you will find the processed foods.聽 Shopping on the edge is much healthier.
11. Make one BIG trip. Each time you visit the store is another opportunity to spend money. Reduce the frequency of visits, you automatically avoid temptation, and therefore you save money.
12. Shop on a full stomach.聽 It is true, when you visit the store hungry you always by more than you need, and you take impulse buying to the max. If you need to, have a small snack before you walk through the aisles.