The Easter meal is a perfect time to re-introduce some seasonal fruits and vegetables that have been too expensive or hard to find during winter.
There are numerous spring fruits and vegetables that are making their way back on to the tables at the farmer’s market and back on to produce shelves.聽 They are rich in nutrients, plentiful in聽supply and usually more reasonably priced in season.
Some of the produce that you might be able to find more readily now include: Apricots, Artichokes, Asparagus, Avocados, Carrots, Chives, Fennel, Leeks, Mangoes, Morel Mushrooms, Peas, Pineapples, Potatoes, Rhubarb and Spinach.
Some of these items may be familiar to you, others you might give a try.聽 All are delicious
and nutritious and contain health benefits. 聽Look for new recipes using some of spring’s best produce.聽 Adding them to your plate will help get you toward the goal of having half of each meal consisting of fruits and vegetables.
Here is a simple recipe that would be a聽tasty and healthy聽addition to any Easter meal:
Baked Asparagus with Balsamic Butter Sauce
- 2 bunches fresh asparagus, trimmed
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Arrange the asparagus on a baking sheet.聽聽Coat with聽cooking聽spray, and season with聽salt and pepper.
- Bake聽asparagus 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until tender.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, and聽stir in soy sauce and balsamic聽vinegar. Pour over the baked asparagus to serve.
The FitFactor Team wishes you a happy, healthy Easter & spring!!