Wondering what to do with the abundance of delicious apples that you brought home from the orchard? 聽Why not make your own applesauce?聽 It is easy and delicious and serves as a healthy snack or side dish for pork or chicken or any meal.聽 Best of all, you make it yourself so you know exactly what is in it.聽 No high fructose corn syrup or artificial flavors or colors.聽 Just a couple of good for you ingredients:
Easy, Homemade Applesauce
- 8-10 apples (of your favorite variety), chopped into 陆 in pieces (leaving the peel on provides more fiber and vitamins and makes the recipe even easier.)
- 陆 tsp of cinnamon (optional)
- 陆 C of water
- Place the apples, water and cinnamon in a pot on the stove.聽 Bring to a boil, cover with a lid and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer the apples for about 30 minutes, until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and mash with a potato masher (applesauce will be chunky).聽 For finer applesauce, mix with a blender (immersion blenders work great) or a food processor.
Sprinkle with cinnamon (if desired).聽 If you prefer a little sweeter applesauce, stir in a small amount of pure maple syrup.聽 Keep prepared applesauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Enjoy the simple goodness that the fall harvest has to offer!
To find apples or an orchard near you, check out: http://www.orangepippin.com/orchards
(photos from kiwicrate.com)