Every year, HFA holds an inspiring and fun Young Adult Advocacy Summit (YAAS) in Washington, DC. In 2020, we had to go virtual, but we are so pleased to announced that we are back in person this September 18 – 21!
YAAS was established to introduce young adults to legislative and personal advocacy in a safe and supportive manner with hands-on training and peer support. Our outreach to legislative offices on Capitol Hill and federal agencies empowers participants to apply their knowledge and experience in their communities. We believe that introducing young people to public service, especially in our nation’s capital, deepens their understanding of society鈥檚 needs and the various ways policymakers address these needs. YAAS is a great way for our young community members to enhance their educational, personal, and professional development.
HFA previously planned to host YAAS virtually in 2021, but we feel we can safely offer the program in-person September 18 – 21. The curriculum and total hours of educational programming will remain much the same; however, we are excited to see everyone in person rather than over Zoom.
Participants must apply to attend. Applications will close on Friday, August 13. All travel expenses will be covered by HFA; ground transportation from the DC airports will be reimbursed to participants. Meals en route to and from the Young Adult Advocacy Summit will also be reimbursed from HFA; all other meals during the Summit will be provided by HFA.
- Increase involvement in policy and legislative advocacy by educating participants about the legislative process.
- Teach how to effectively communicate with policymakers.
- Create a social support network to encourage staying connected after the Young Adult Advocacy Summit.
- Increase understanding of health care coverage, including the history of health care in the US and how we can apply lessons from the past to future conversations with legislators.
- Participants will demonstrate proper use of social media for legislative advocacy.
Visit our Young Adults Advocacy Summit page for more information and to register!