Looking for a fun, challenging, outdoorÂ physical activity? Â Try hiking!!
Hiking is a safe and popular sport for people with bleeding disorders. Not only can many forests be reached without a lot of driving, but hiking can be a fun and inspiring activity for the whole family. Â Along with the excitement of enjoying nature, hiking is a great form of exercise that only requires a good pair of hiking boots or sturdy shoes.
One key to hiking is being prepared for possible dangers and personal safety. Planning and being properly equipped can make the difference between a good hiking day and a bad one. Below are a few tips and recommendations to help you stay healthy and safe while hiking.
1. Check the weather and plan your route. Print maps and pack a compass. Don’t’ forget to tell a friend or family member the route you are taking and when plan to return.
2. Pack personal supplies: factor, medical kits, high protein snacks, water (don’t drink from spring), insect repellent, disinfectant, whistle, cell phone, and anything else that will support a fun hike.
3. Clothing: Dress with the worst possible scenarios. Make sure to wear hiking boots, socks, lightweight pants and a long-sleeved shirt.Â Don’t forget to wear your medical identification bracelet or necklace.
4. Never hike alone, use the rule of three. When you go hiking, there should always be at least three people. The main reason is that if someone gets hurt, having a group of three people allows one person to stay with the person who is hurt while the third person can go to get help.
5. Know where you can get medical care. Know exactly how far you are from the nearest Ranger station and/or hospital. Knowing this information in advance can save a life.
6. Take mini breaks and pace yourself. Taking a break is great time to drink water and have small snacks. Let the slowest person walk in front. Let their speed set the pace of the group.
7. Avoid sunburn by wearing a hat, covering your arms and wearing sunscreen.
8. Take your time, have fun, and always remember SAFETY FIRST!!