Healthy living is beneficial for the physical body, but it can also benefit our mental health. Proper wellness, combined with safe and effective exercise are particularly important for individuals living with bleeding disorders.
The National Alliance on Mental Illness reminds us that mental health is a vital part of our overall health. Focusing on our physical health is an opportunity for us to take control of how we manage life’s ups and downs. It is also a way to become involved in your healthcare journey.
According to NAMI, there are a few things that you can do to begin your journey toward wellness:
- Â Get Active: At least 20 minutes of safe activity daily has been proven to reduce anxiety, depression, improve mood, self-esteem and cognitive function.Â Exercise can also prevent or improve obesity, cardiovascular disease, Type 2 diabetes and makes you more resistant to illness.
- Eat Healthy: A healthy diet, with low refined sugar and appropriate portions of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and proteins can also improve mental health.
- Become Mindful:Â Mindfulness or self-awareness are processes of focusing on mind, body and soul.Â Practicing mindfulness can help relieve stress, reduce chronic pain, blood pressure and symptoms of heart disease.Â Activities such as yoga, have been proven to provide better control over processing emotions.
- Avoid Substance Abuse and Smoking: Abusing drugs oftentimes becomes a way to cope or ease the pain of mental and physical illness, but they actually make them worse.Â Also, certain medications lose their effectiveness due to the use of drugs, alcohol and cigarettes.
- Think Positive: Although it seems simple, how we view ourselves influences how we behave and what we feel. Low self-esteem is associated with many mental health conditions.
- Get a Good Night’s Sleep
- Have a Support System: Being affected by aÂ chronic disease can be challenging if you are without support. It can often make you feel overwhelmed. Having someone to talk to, a family member, a community member or a friend can help you bear the load.
Get involved with HFA’s healthy living initiative. Fit Factor is designed to improve health, fitness and quality of life through regular physical activity and proper nutrition. The following articles may be helpful on your journey towards lifelong wellness!