The things I love most about a warm and flavorful Tortilla Soup is that it includes all the yummy flavors of Mexican food, and it only takes about 30-40 minutes to prep and cook.
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- About 1 cup diced green or red peppers
- A few tomatillos, diced
- A few garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño or other hot pepper, minced (or to taste)
- About 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (Sea or Kosher)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Meat from 1/2 cooked chicken, shredded (you can leave this out if you are vegetarian)
- Tortilla chips
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced scallions
- Crumbled feta or shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- Lime wedges
1. In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and peppers along with a good pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften. Add the tomatillos, garlic and jalapeño and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes longer. Add the diced tomatoes and cook for a few minutes more. Add the chicken stock, cilantro and salt, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil. When the soup reaches a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.
2. Dissolve the cornstarch in a couple of Tablespoons of water to make a slurry. Pour the slurry into the pot in a slow stream, stirring to mix it into the soup. Raise the heat to high, bring the soup to a boil once again for just a moment, and then remove the soup from the heat. Stir in lime juice.
3. Place a handful of shredded chicken and a handful of tortilla chips into each of four wide bowls. Pour some soup overtop. Garnish generously with cilantro, avocado, scallions, feta or jack cheese and lime wedges.